Douville rides the top for SCoNE win; Older, Severance carry checkered flags
WEST HAVEN, VT – Kenny Tremont Jr. thought he had done it all in dirt track Modified stock car racing, but found out that there were still some “firsts” left for him to achieve. His victory on Vermont Army National Guard Night at The Dirt Track at Devil’s Bowl Speedway on Sunday, August 9 was the headline moment of a four-division card for the Berlin Optical Expressions Dirt Track Series that also saw Danny Douville, Darrell Older, and Justin Severance win.
A winner of more than 300 races and over 30 championships during his long career, Tremont went wire-to-wire in the 35-lap feature for the Liberty Street Discount Beverage & Deli Sportsman Modifieds on Sunday. He topped a field of 25 starters to become the first driver to win more than one feature race in the Sportsman class since the new 3/10-mile Dirt Track opened at Devil’s Bowl Speedway in September 2014.
The win completed a four-race weekend sweep for Tremont, which he believed to be a career-first; the West Sand Lake, NY veteran won Friday’s Modified feature at Albany-Saratoga Speedway, took both the Big Block Modified and Small Block Modified features at Lebanon Valley Speedway on Saturday, and bookended the run with the Sportsman score at Devil’s Bowl.
“That’s got to be a first; I really don’t think I’ve done that before,” Tremont said. “Maybe when I was a much younger man I might have won four times in a weekend, but I don’t think so.”
Josh Sunn of White River Junction, VT finished second after a long side-by-side fight with Middlebury, VT’s Justin Comes. Sunn was also the runner-up at the Dirt Track opener in July, while Comes finished third in his first appearance of the year. They were followed across the finish line by Tim Hodge of Vershire, VT and Leon Gonyo of Chazy, NY, while the top 10 was completed by Jackie Brown Jr., Allan Hammond, Bobby Hackel, Trevor Rocke, and D.J. Robinson.
Danny Douville took his first Sprint Cars of New England (SCoNE) win at Devil’s Bowl after an eventful drive through the pack. The Bridgewater, NH veteran started 11th on the 15-car field, spun in the in early going, then rebounded with an impressive outside lane drive from the rear. He passed Kevin Chaffee with seven laps left and won going away.
Chaffee, of Bradford, VT, was the runner-up, followed by Jacob Williams of Center Tuftonboro, NH. Chris Donnelly finished fourth, and Patrick Smith had a strong showing by leading 20 laps finishing fifth.
Darrell Older of Ballston Spa, NY won the 25-lap feature race for the Renegade division after holding off a final-corner charge from Matt Mosher. Queensbury, NY racer Mosher fell a half-car length short at the finish line, with Curtis Condon, also of Queensbury, in third place.
Justin Severance of Rutland, VT survived a four-tangle with two laps remaining to win the 15-lap Portland Glass Mini Stock feature. Aaron Bunker of Newport, NH finished second in his first start at Devil’s Bowl, with Jesse Durkee of South Royalton, VT third.
The Dirt Track at Devil’s Bowl Speedway returns to action on Sunday, August 30 at 6:00 p.m. as Interstate All Battery Center and Sherwin-Williams present the first-ever appearance by the Lucas Oil POWRi Outlaw Midget Series. Sportsman Modifieds, Renegades, and Mini Stocks are also on the card.
Devil’s Bowl Speedway is located on Route 22A in West Haven, VT, four miles north of Exit 2 on U.S. Route 4. For more information, visit www.DevilsBowlSpeedwayVT.com or call (802) 265-3112. Devil’s Bowl Speedway is on Facebook at facebook.com/DevilsBowlSpeedway and on Twitter and Instagram at @DevilsBowlSpeed; follow the action using the #DevilsBowl hashtag.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – Vermont Army National Guard Night
Devil’s Bowl Speedway, West Haven, VT
Berlin Optical Expressions Dirt Track Series
Sunday, August 9, 2015
Liberty Street Discount Beverage & Deli Sportsman Modified Feature (35 laps)
1. (1) Kenny Tremont Jr., West Sand Lake, NY
2. (9) Josh Sunn, White River Junction, VT
3. (4) Justin Comes, Middlebury, VT
4. (2) Tim Hodge, Verhsire, VT
5. (14) Leon Gonyo, Chazy, NY
6. (5) Jackie Brown Jr., Hurley, NY
7. (12) Allan Hammond, Orange, NH
8. (7) Bobby Hackel, Rensselaer, NY
9. (6) Trevor Rocke, Canaan, NH
10. (15) D.J. Robinson, Sharon, VT
11. (10) Robbie LaCroix, Canaan, NH
12. (17) Todd Buckwold, Orange, NH
13. (8) Billy Lussier, Fair Haven, VT
14. (21) Bob Ellis, West Haven, VT
15. (16) Jack Speshock, Malta, NY
16. (23) Jim Introne Jr., Hartford, NY
17. (20) Bruce Schwab, Whitehall, NY
18. (18) Jack Gentile, Cohoes, NY
19. (13) Adam Pierson, East Corinth, VT
20. (19) Jason Sanville, Grafton, NH
21. (24) Trevor Hurlburt, Bomoseen, VT
22. (3) Chris Murray, Fair Haven, VT
23. (22) Mike Coffey Jr., Ballston Spa, NY
24. (11) Vince Quenneville Jr., Brandon, VT
25. (25) Codie Aubin, Plattsburgh, NY
Did Not Start: Hunter Bates, Middlebury, VT
Heat Winners: Josh Sunn; Jackie Brown Jr.; Tim Hodge; Jack Speshock
Consi Winner: Todd Buckwold
Sprint Cars of New England Feature (30 laps)
1. (11) Dan Douville, Bristol, NH
2. (10) Kevin Chaffee, Bradford, VT
3. (8) Jacob Williams, Center Tuftonboro, NH
4. (9) Chris Donnelly, Piermont, NH
5. (3) Patrick Smith, East Andover, NH
6. (6) Luke Greenwood, Hudson, NH
7. (4) Toby Tatro, North Haverhill, NH
8. (7) Lacey Hanson, Orwell, VT
9. (12) Scott Holcomb, North Granby, CT
10. (1) Christine Boesch, Concord, NH
11. (2) Dennis McLeod, Concord, NH
12. (5) Stephen Hutchinson, Manchester, NH
13. (14) Allison Journey, Springfield, OR
14. (13) Will Hull, Plainfield, VT
Heat Winners: Patrick Smith; Jacob Williams
Dash Winner: Danny Douville
Renegade Feature (25 laps)
1. (3) Darrell Older, Ballston Spa, NY
2. (2) Matt Mosher, Queensbury, NY
3. (4) Curtis Condon, Queensbury, NY
4. (5) Rowdy Burch, Fort Edward, NY
5. (1) Lou Gancarz, North Adams, MA
Portland Glass Mini Stock Feature (15 laps)
(# – denotes rookie)
1. (2) Justin Severance, Rutland, VT
2. (5) Aaron Bunker, Newport, NH
3. (1) Jesse Durkee, South Royalton, VT
4. (4) Chris Dargie, Newport, NH
5. (3) Tim Martin, White River Junction, VT
6. (6) Chris Cardarelli, St. George, VT
7. (7) Scott Corbosiero, Adams, MA
Did Not Start: Justin Bishop; Brian Bishop
Heat Winner: Aaron Bunker