Williams, Miller, Gioia claim wins in return to dirt racing
WEST HAVEN, VT – Kenny Tremont, Jr. ran what he called “the longest 50 laps of my life” at Devil’s Bowl Speedway on Friday, September 26, but at the end of a grueling night he stood in the winner’s circle. Tremont survived to claim the LawPower.com Slate Valley Showdown presented by Interstate All Battery Center of Rutland, VT and the $1,000 winner’s prize in the opening round of the three-race “Battle at the Bowl” series – the first dirt track race held at the Vermont track in more than five years – before a massive grandstand crowd.
Tremont started 15th and used a survivalist strategy to get out of a wild start to the race, which saw half of the Sportsman Modified field eliminated in a series of multi-car pileups. The biggest crash occurred on lap 10 when five cars bunched up on the frontstretch, leaving Tim Hodge’s car upside down and Justin Comes’ machine peeled open like a sardine can; no injuries were sustained.
Once the field sorted itself out, it was all Tremont and Vince Quenneville, Jr. at the front, with West Sand Lake, NY veteran Tremont taking the lead from Quenneville at lap 20 and holding him off for much of the balance of the race. Tremont crossed the finish line as a winner at Devil’s Bowl for the first time since August 2009, the year he won his track-record sixth championship.
Quenneville, of Brandon, VT, took the runner-up spot to thrill the Devil’s Bowl home crowd. Polesitter and multi-time Bear Ridge (VT) Speedway champion Adam Pierson – who was turned from behind while leading in the early laps – rallied to finish in third place. Daryl Nutting finished fourth after bouncing through an early wreck, and Johnny Scarborough took fifth place. Leon Gonyo, Eddie Patterson, Ryan Avery, Cody Hunt, and Derrick McGrew completed the top 10.
Thirty-nine Sportsman teams came to Devil’s Bowl to attempt to qualify for the 24-car starting field. Heats were won by Jack Swinton, Jack Gentile, Nutting, and Tremont. Comes won the consolation round, and Tim LaDuc took the last-chance qualifier.
Bear Ridge regular Robbie Williams of Campton, NH won $500 in the 25-lap Pro Stock/Limited Late Model open. Williams held off the challenges of Legion (NH) Speedway teammates J.P. Vaillancourt and Derek O’Hearn for his first Devil’s Bowl victory. Albany-Saratoga (NY) Speedway drivers Eddie Thompson and Brandon Emigh finished fourth and fifth, respectively.
Ballston Spa, NY driver Randy Miller won the wildly entertaining 20-lap Renegade feature, fending off a constant and familiar challenge from Bill Duprey – the pair combined to win 13 feature races at Albany-Saratoga in 2014. Airborne Park (NY) Speedway asphalt standout Jamy Begor won the hearts of the crowd by recovering from an early spin to finish third in the first dirt track race of his career. Frank Monroe and Darral Older completed the top five.
Bear Ridge driver Rob Gioia of East Thetford, VT drove to the win in the 15-lap Mini Stock feature, piloting a Ford Mustang – the only rear-wheel drive car in the field. Jay Resch of Glen Ridge (NY) Motorsports Park and Airborne Park (NY) Speedway asphalt racer Steven Bresette kept Gioia on his toes throughout the race, and completed the podium finishers. Jake Noble and Scott Richner were next in line.
The “Battle at the Bowl” series continues on Saturday, October 4 with the 50-lap, $5,000-to-win “King of the Clay” race for Big Block and Small Block Modifieds. Sportsman Modifieds, Renegades, Mini Stocks, and a 50-lap Enduro are also on the card. Post time has been moved from its originally scheduled time to an earlier 4:00 p.m. start. General admission is $20 for adults and free for kids age 12 and under.
Devil’s Bowl Speedway is located on Route 22A in West Haven, VT, four miles north of Exit 2 on U.S. Route 4. For more information, visit www.DevilsBowlSpeedwayVT.com or call (802) 265-3112. Devil’s Bowl Speedway is on Facebook at facebook.com/DevilsBowlSpeedway and on Twitter and Instagram at @DevilsBowlSpeed; follow the action using the #DevilsBowl and #BattleAtTheBowl hashtags.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – LawPower.com Slate Valley Showdown
“Battle at the Bowl” Dirt Track Series
Devil’s Bowl Speedway, West Haven, VT
Friday, September 26, 2014
Sportsman Modified Feature (50 laps)
1. (15) Kenny Tremont, Jr., West Sand Lake, NY
2. (8) Vince Quenneville, Jr., Brandon, VT
3. (1) Adam Pierson, Bradford, VT
4. (3) Daryl Nutting, Ballston Spa, NY
5. (20) Johnny Scarborough, Bomoseen, VT
6. (12) Leon Gonyo, Chazy, NY
7. (2) Eddie Patterson, Websterville, VT
8. (5) Ryan Avery, Thornton, NH
9. (23) Cody Hunt, Hoosick Falls, NY
10. (10) Derrick McGrew, Ballston Spa, NY
11. (24) Ricky Davis, East Arlington, VT
12. (16) Josh Sunn, Woodstock, VT
13. (19) Richie Simmons, Bradford, VT
14. (13) Chris Murray, Fair Haven, VT
15. (21) Tim LaDuc, Orwell, VT
16. (9) Allan Hammond, Canaan, NH
17. (14) Frank Hoard, Jr., Manchester Center, VT
18. (11) Colin Bokus, Middle Grove, NY
19. (6) Alex Bell, Cambridge, NY
20. (18) Tim Hodge, Woodstock, VT
21. (17) Justin Comes, Middlebury, VT
22. (22) Mike Maresca, Hannawa Falls, NY
23. (7) Jack Gentile, Cohoes, NY
24. (4) Jack Swinton, Hudson Falls, NY
Lap Leaders: Adam Pierson, 1-6; Vince Quenneville, Jr., 7-19; Kenny Tremont, Jr., 20-50.
Heat Winners: Jack Swinton; Jack Gentile; Daryl Nutting; Kenny Tremont, Jr.
Consi Winner: Justin Comes
“B” Feature Winner: Tim LaDuc
Did Not Qualify: Anthony Alger; Nick Lussier; Tyson Drown; Matt Atwood; Jim Introne, Jr.; Jim Morgan; Trevor Hurlburt; Ron Casey; Adam Gage; Billy Lussier; Bruce Schwab; Brian Whittemore; Mike Gramolini; Neal Provost, II; Scott Flanders.
Pro Stock Feature (25 laps)
1. (3) Robbie Williams, Plainfield, NH
2. (2) J.P. Vaillancourt, Campton, NH
3. (5) Derek O’Hearn, Campton, NH
4. (8) Eddie Thompson, Castleton, VT
5. (1) Brandon Emigh, Ballston Spa, NY
6. (7) Bernie Companion, Ballston Spa, NY
7. (4) Walt Brownell, Galway, NY
8. (6) Sam Comeau, Hebron, NH
9. (9) Fred Little, Salisbury, VT
10. (10) Kevin Loomis, Granville, NY
Did Not Start: Kent Clark
Heat Winners: Brandon Emigh; J.P. Vaillancourt
Renegade Feature (20 laps)
1. (1) Randy Miller, Ballston Spa, NY
2. (2) Bill Duprey, Hydeville, VT
3. (5) Jamy Begor, Mooers Forks, NY
4. (3) Frank Monroe, Granville, NY
5. (7) Darral Older, Ballston Spa, NY
6. (4) Mark Burch, Fort Edward, NY
7. (10) Jake Currier, Ballston Spa, NY
8. (8) Damon Anderson, Corinth, NY
9. (6) Lou Gancarz, North Adams, MA
10. (9) Jordan Kasper, Ballston Spa, NY
Did Not Start: Matt Mosher; Eric Sprega
Heat Winners: Randy Miller; Bill Duprey
Mini Stock Feature (15 laps)
1. (1) Rob Gioia, East Thetford, VT
2. (4) Jay Resch, Mechanicville, NY
3. (2) Steven Bresette, Keeseville, NY
4. (7) Jake Noble, Benson, VT
5. (3) Scott Richner, Rouses Point, NY
6. (10) Mitchell Dundon, Orwell, VT
7. (6) Brian Bishop, Middlebury, VT
8. (11) Dale O’Neil, Mooers, NY
9. (9) Mark Lindblade, Hadley, NY
10. (5) Chuck Bradford, Addison, VT
11. (8) Dan Collins, Rensselaer, NY
Did Not Start: Ben Britch; Matt Monaghan
Heat Winners: Rob Gioia; Steven Bresette