Mosher tops Renegades, Ryan repeats in Mini Stocks
WEST HAVEN, Vt. – Bobby Hackel’s impressive roll continued at the Dirt Track at Devil’s Bowl Speedway on Sunday, August 28, as he picked up win number five on the season in NASCAR Whelen All-American Series competition. The Rensselaer, N.Y., racer won the highly competitive Charlie LaDuc Memorial “Ol’ Reliable 54,” while Matt Mosher and Mike Ryan were also winners at the event.
After starting 14th, Hackel was a late arrival to the battle for the lead. Front row starters Jason Bruno and Brian Whittemore took turns leading in the first eight laps before Justin Comes of Middlebury, Vt., entered the fray. Comes rim-rode the speedway on the extreme outside lane to get his work done. Jackie Brown Jr. nosed ahead to lead a single circuit following a restart at lap 19 before Comes took command.
As Comes ran the top, Orwell, Vt., veteran Tim LaDuc – with extra motivation on a night dedicated to his late father, a longtime Devil’s Bowl Speedway racer and fan favorite – used the bottom of the track to pass Comes and lead laps 28 and 29; Comes fought back to lead lap 30 by inches. LaDuc held the lead at lap 31 when the fourth yellow flag flew, but Comes suffered a mechanical failure during the caution period and was forced out of the race.
LaDuc held on for seven more laps when racing resumed, but Hackel – the championship point leader – got past him after the fifth and final restart at lap 39 and sailed to the win. LaDuc and family celebrated a meaningful runner-up finish, while Kenny Tremont Jr. came from 20th at the start to finish third.
Vince Quenneville Jr. was fourth with Brown fifth. Whittemore finished a strong sixth, followed by Allan Hammond, Louie Cadwell, Chad Miller, and Kevin Chaffee.
Matt Mosher of Queensbury, N.Y., won the 15-lap feature race for the Rosen & Berger Auto Recyclers Renegade division, taking his second win of the year after a race-long fight with fellow Queensbury racer Curtis Condon. Lou Gancarz was a season-best third behind Condon, followed by Josh Bussino and Russ Farr Jr.
Mike Ryan and Wayland Childs, both of Chelsea, Vt., finished first and second, respectively, for the second consecutive race in the 15-lap Portland Glass Mini Stock feature. Jim Durkee finished third in his first start of the year, with Derrick Counter and Eric Castiglioni completing the top five.
Devil’s Bowl Speedway returns to action on with two nights of racing and fireworks on Labor Day Weekend. The half-mile Asphalt Track runs on Saturday, September 3 at 7:00 p.m., with the 3/10-mile Dirt Track on Sunday, September 4 at 6:00 p.m.
Devil’s Bowl Speedway is located on Route 22A in West Haven, Vt., four miles north of Exit 2 off of U.S. Route 4 and just 20 minutes from Rutland, Vt. For more information, visit www.DevilsBowlSpeedwayVT.com or call (802) 265-3112. Devil’s Bowl Speedway is on Facebook at facebook.com/DevilsBowlSpeedway and on Twitter and Instagram at @DevilsBowlSpeed; follow the action using the #DevilsBowl hashtag.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – Charlie LaDuc Memorial Night
Devil’s Bowl Speedway Dirt Track – West Haven, VT
NASCAR Whelen All-American Series
Sunday, August 28, 2016
Central Vermont Motorcycles Sportsman Modified Feature (54 laps)
# – denotes rookie
1. (14) Bobby Hackel, Rensselaer, N.Y.
2. (10) Tim LaDuc, Orwell, Vt.
3. (20) Kenny Tremont Jr., West Sand Lake, N.Y.
4. (9) Vince Quenneville Jr., Brandon, Vt.
5. (3) Jackie Brown Jr., Hurley, N.Y.
6. (2) Brian Whittemore, Pittsford, Vt.
7. (6) Allan Hammond, Canaan, N.H.
8. (12) Louie Cadwell, East Thetford, Vt.
9. (7) Chad Miller, White River Junction, Vt.
10. (11) Kevin Chaffee, Bradford, Vt.
11. (13) Trevor Rocke, Canaan, N.H.
12. (17) # Justin Severance, Pittsford, Vt.
13. (1) Jason Bruno, Morrisonville, N.Y.
14. (15) Lenny Pillsbury, Cornish, N.H.
15. (5) Justin Comes, Middlebury, Vt.
16. (4) Billy Lussier, Fair Haven, Vt.
17. (18) Codie Aubin, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
18. (8) Wayne Stearns, Bradford, Vt.
19. (16) Johnny Chesnut, Grantham, N.H.
20. (19) Bruce Loomis, Granville, N.Y.
Heat Winners: Brian Whittemore, Justin Comes, Bobby Hackel
Shiley Fabrication Hard Charger Award: Kenny Tremont Jr.
Shiley Fabrication Hard Luck Award: Justin Comes
Rosen & Berger Auto Recyclers Renegade Feature (15 laps)
# – denotes rookie
1. (5) Matt Mosher, Queensbury, N.Y.
2. (3) Curtis Condon, Queensbury, N.Y.
3. (1) Lou Gancarz, North Adams, Mass.
4. (4) # Josh Bussino, Mount Holly, Vt.
5. (7) Russ Farr Jr., Fair Haven, Vt.
6. (2) Aaron Fachini, North Adams, Mass.
7. (6) Mike Bussino, Mount Holly, Vt.
Did Not Start: Bill Duprey, Hydeville, Vt.
Heat Winner: Curtis Condon
Bond Auto Parts Hard Charger Award: Matt Mosher
Portland Glass Mini Stock Feature (15 laps)
# – denotes rookie
1. (10) Mike Ryan, Vershire, Vt.
2. (8) Wayland Childs, Chelsea, Vt.
3. (9) Jim Durkee, Hartford, Vt.
4. (2) Derrick Counter, Leicester, Vt.
5. (12) Eric Castiglioni, Newbury, N.H.
6. (1) Chris Cardarelli, Milton, Vt.
7. (3) Jason Porter, Freeport, Maine
8. (15) David Flanders, Warner, N.H.
9. (4) # Cameron Kennedy, Rochester, Vt.
10. (5) Chris Conroy, Newport, N.H.
11. (13) Kyle Rogers, Fair Haven, Vt.
12. (11) # Josh Swahn, Pittsford, Vt.
13. (6) # Chris Charbonneau, Rutland, Vt.
14. (14) William Partridge
15. (7) # Kyle Watrous, Bomoseen, Vt.
Heat Winners: Jim Durkee, Mike Ryan
Bond Auto Parts Hard Charger Award: Mike Ryan