ACT Late Model Tour driver wins in first Modified start of season
SOUTH PLATTSBURGH, NY – Bobby Therrien gave the northeastern stock car racing world a bit of a surprise on Sunday afternoon by winning the 50-lap Northern Modified Challenge Series event at Airborne Park Speedway. Typically a top performer in full-fender Late Models on the American-Canadian Tour, Therrien held off the field to win in his first open-wheel start of the season.
The Hinesburg, VT driver was busy on the day, and in fact won the first of two 25-lap races for the track’s Late Model division. For the Northern Modified Challenge Series event, he strapped into a team car provided by NMCS regular Jamie LaFountain and started ninth by virtue of a random draw. Therrien showed speed early in the race and was in third place when leader Leon Gonyo cut a tire and drew the caution flag at lap 20.
Therrien pounced at the restart, taking the lead from NMCS championship point leader Jessey Mueller and stretching out to a comfortable advantage. As the laps ticked away, Airborne Park Speedway track champion Nick Heywood – crowned with his third consecutive title earlier in the day – caught Therrien from his 21st starting position. Heywood made repeated attempts to take the lead, but Therrien’s No. 20X Bob’s Trucking/DMO Motors-sponsored PMC car held on for the victory.
Mueller slipped to third place but retained his point lead. Airborne standout Mark Lamberton finished fourth, and visiting dirt track star Stewart Friesen took fifth in his NMCS debut at the controls of a Mueller team car. Jason Durgan and Vince Quenneville, Jr. were next in line, followed by a recovered Gonyo. Ron Proctor and Travis Bruno completed the top ten finishers.
Unofficially, Mueller leads Quenneville by 12 points (234-222), with Gonyo just two more points back (220) entering twin 50-lap races at Devil’s Bowl Speedway in West Haven, VT, during the Mekkelsen RV Vermont 200 Weekend on Sunday, September 14.
The Northern Modified Challenge Series is sanctioned by Devil’s Bowl Speedway management. For more information, visit www.DevilsBowlSpeedwayVT.com, call (802) 265-3112, or follow on Twitter at @NorthernModCS or with the #NMCS hashtag.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – Northern Modified Challenge Series
Airborne Park Speedway, Plattsburgh, NY
Sunday, September 7, 2014
Feature Event (50 laps)
1. (9) Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT
2. (21) Nick Heywood, Plattsburgh, NY
3. (7) Jessey Mueller, Olmstedville, NY
4. (11) Mark Lamberton, Mooers Forks, NY
5. (13) Stewart Friesen, Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON
6. (16) Jason Durgan, Morrisonville, NY
7. (19) Vince Quenneville, Jr., Brandon, VT
8. (2) Leon Gonyo, Chazy, NY
9. (3) Ron Proctor, Charlton, NY
10. (12) Travis Bruno, Morrisonville, NY
11. (17) Chris Frennier, West Chazy, NY
12. (1) Tyson Drown, Mooers Forks, NY
13. (20) Andy Heywood, Morrisonville, NY
14. (14) Jim Morgan, Chazy, NY
15. (10) Speedy Bresette, Peru, NY
16. (8) Jamie LaFountain, Keeseville, NY
17. (18) Jayson Criss, Plattsburgh, NY
18. (5) Mike Wells, West Chazy, NY
19. (4) Keith Pelkey, Clintonville, NY
20. (6) Codie Aubin, Plattsburgh, NY
21. (15) Rico Hernandez, Plattsburgh, NY
22. (22) Andrew Bordeau, Dannemora, NY
Lap Leaders: Leon Gonyo, 1-19; Jessey Mueller, 20; Bobby Therrien, 21-50.